From The Neuros Technology Wiki
Neuros.TV is a free service that allows you to find, organize, recommend and share Internet TV and video content. It is a key component of the Neuros LINK, but for those users who already have a Home Theater PC (HTPC), it can be used on its own as well. Please visit http://www.neuros.tv for more information.
How do I use Neuros.TV?
There are two ways:
- The Neuros LINK: The Neuros LINK optimizes the experience of Neuros.TV for your TV.
- Desktop/laptop: Visit http://www.neuros.tv to use it today.
- Home Theater PC: Point your Firefox web browser to app.neuros.tv. The service is free to use.
Neuros.TV on the Neuros LINK today is optimized to better support the LINK and its 10-foot viewing experience, in the following ways:
- The Neuros.TV Firefox theme is set by default, along with the Autohide extension to further enhance fullscreen browsing
- The Neuros.TV Search Plugin to enable easy search of TV shows, movies, and other video files
- Specific browser plugins to enable better full-screen viewing
- Other system-level enhancements
Screenshots of Neuros.TV
Begin search for another show
Gray = complete. Green = in progress.
| Timing || Feature || Details
- Browse details
- Complete (for now).
| Firefox theme ||
- Neuros.TV Firefox theme
| URL generation (simple share) ||
- Build a URL for copy/paste sharing
| Integration of 3rd-party providers ||
- Framework: complete.
- Hulu: complete.
- Joost: pending.
- Megavideo: pending.
- CBS: pending.
- WB: pending.
- Others: pending.
| Firefox Autohide extension modification ||
- The Autohide extension is a good start, and currently preinstalled with every LINK.
- However, we want to modify it as follows:
- If the user is on URL *.neuros.tv, keep the navigation bar hidden until the user rolls to the top (current behavior)
- Otherwise, show the navigation bar at all times in fullscreen mode.
| Announcements ||
- When a new announcement needs to be sent to all users, Neuros can insert a message into the database with an expiration date
- When a user logs in they are shown all messages that they have not yet seen and have not yet expired
| Better filtering and increased speed ||
- Current filtering of full-length shows is not great on Neuros.TV, and search results take a reasonably long time to populate
- Improve both filtering and speed by introducing background caching of third-party results into system
- Community contribution
- Video no longer available
- Video is a clip
- Video not playable in my region
- Shows sometimes go "off air" or are not full episodes like they appear to be
- We want users to be able to notify the database
- Question: how do we bring a show back "on air" if the content owner puts it back online?
- Possible solution: reinject show every so often. If users kill it, it disappears again.
| Seasons/episodes context ||
- Search results are great, but we want to see our results in a season/episode list!
- Preliminary design ready
| My Shows ||
- Subscribe to and unsubscribe from shows
- Track which shows you haven't yet watched
- Potentially use elements from firstonmars.com as a seed for ideas. (Thanks cfranzen!)
| Enhanced User Profiles ||
- There are people behind those usernames! Let's let some of it show!
- Multiple people in a household may want a different username per person - enable easy switching
| Filter specific providers ||
- Users are returned results from all providers, but may not be interested in for-pay providers, geo-constrained providers, etc.
- Enable users to filter which providers they are able to see in search results
This section consists of a selection of ideas that may make their way into the roadmap. Please contribute your ideas and comments below, post them in our Neuros.TV forum, or email them to jshah @AT@ (this company's domain name).
| Contributed by || Feature || Details || Links
| JoeBorn || Twitter on the LINK ||
- Twitter is a great short-message communication platform
- However, not everyone wants to see everything you have watched through your Twitter feed
- Perhaps we need a way to specifically indicate the shows we want to send through Twitter? Like, part of the Browser navigation bar?
| Genkitty || Edit/lock metadata ||
- "Video tagging is, in some cases, horribly muddled. It's especially apparent with House. I'm more than willing to help with tagging videos/shows, if only to flag mis-labeled shows."
- This really is around editing and locking metadata. We expect direct integration of 3rd-party providers and move to Season/Episode Context to solve a vast majority of these problems. However, there are still the problems of:
- Shows no longer available
- Wrong show metadata
- Show does not play in a given geography
- Show does not play on a given device (e.g. ABC.com shows on the LINK)
- Show is just a clip
- And, how do you stop malicious/incorrect metadata edits?
| acarr ||
- Contribution/indexing of non-US TV shows
- Related: Geo-filtering
- "Is there a way I can feed you information or you can document the process so I can get my wife's acceptance of a living room computer up? Ideally, I should have a quick link to the current episode. Obviously, I will have to look through CTV's site a bit. For that matter, is there a way to identify what information I need to feed to start to build ca.app.neuros.tv?"
- Ability to easily add non-US shows/seasons/eps to the database
- Ability to easily add non-US videos to the database for a given show/se/ep by means of a link
- Ability for semi-trusted sources to "push" new shows/seasons/eps/videos via RSS/REST that are culled from content providers
| Reshma || Browse by channel ||
- Users want browse to be more than a list of shows. They want to browse by channel (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.) also.
- Enhance Browse to allow browse by channel.
| divinx ||
- Add a "not free" indicator
- Filter by "free/not free"
- Some sites (Amazon Unbox, iTunes) are not free
- Neuros.TV needs to indicate this in some way.
| JoeBorn ||
- Add community tagging features (a.k.a. "Del.icio.us for Video")
- Allow users to create "channels" (lists)
- Enable users to add tags for existing videos and add new videos to the database.
- All videos must correspond to a show/season/episode, as we aren't trying to catch general purpose video clips etc.
- Allow syndication via RSS so other applications can easily access the "channels"
- Requires Enhanced User Profiles, so a user's tags can be associated with them, and so a user can modify/edit their own tags.